This petition is now closed, as its deadline has passed.
We the undersigned petition Westminster City Council to ensure that the redeveloped Moxon Street site includes sufficient space for the popular Farmers' Market to continue. More details
Petition update from the council, 28 May 2013Dear Councillor Dimoldenberg,
I refer to the e-petition you set up on 22 April, 2013.
The petition reads “We the undersigned petition Westminster City Council to ensure that the redeveloped Moxon Street site includes sufficient space for the popular Farmers' Market to continue. Some of the land should be used for a permanent home for the Farmers’ Market and provide a new public square, along with housing and a new library to replace the one the Council is closing on Marylebone Road. 90% of residents favour this community-oriented approach.”
Signatures were collected for a period of one month. In total 164 signatures were received.
Having fully considered the petition, my response is as follows:
1. Whilst the requirement for the provision of a Farmers’ Market is not a legal requirement and the current occupation is on a licence basis with no protection of the Landlord and Tenant Acts, the re-provision has been a significant consideration of the current disposal process.
2. The disposal briefing pack made available to all bidders of the Moxon Street site included full details of the Farmers’ Market, including statements making bidders fully aware of the importance of the Market to the local and wider community.
3. All bidders are required to demonstrate within their offers / bid schemes, how they propose to accommodate the market.
4. Each of the final four bidders is required to make a ‘Pre-App’ meeting with the Planning Authority, to present their scheme. One of the key matters of consideration is the proposed manner in which the Farmers’ Market will be accommodated.
5. Whilst the current proposal is for a small square at the north of the site, which could accommodate the market stalls; other options including the surrounding streets are also under consideration.
6. Corporate Property have also held consultations with Planning and Highways to understand more fully the likely matters of consideration surrounding the temporary closure of roads, should that solution be the preferred option of the successful bidder.
7. Whilst no final decision has been made on the bids, it is the expectation that the Farmers’ Market will be provided for fully on or around the developed site.
8. Alternative locations, including the local gardens have been dismissed as not suitable for long term and regular use during the current hours of trading.
9. It is expected that a recommendation on the preferred bidder will be made during July 2013.
I trust that this response provides the necessary reassurance that you were seeking regarding the Farmers’ Market.
With regards to the library, as you are aware, Macintosh House in Beaumont Street, W1 is to be the location of the temporary library from August 2013 until December 2015, whilst the relocated permanent library is being pursued at Luxborough Street.
Strategic Director of Housing, Regeneration & Property
More details from petition creator
Some of the land should be used for a permanent home for the Farmers’ Market and provide a new public square, along with housing and a new library to replace the one the Council is closing on Marylebone Road. 90% of residents favour this community-oriented approach