This petition is now closed, as its deadline has passed.
We the undersigned petition Westminster City Council to Stop Vehicle Rat-Runs and Pollution. More details
We welcome the prohibition of engine idling and the current proposal by local Councillors that a 20mph speed limit be introduced for traffic in the vicinity of schools around Westminster Cathedral. However, for the reasons set out below, the speed limit will be counter-productive if it is applied to only Morpeth Terrace and Ashley Place and is not accompanied by measure to limit the increasing numbers of commercial and private vehicles which are 'rat running' through the residential area around the cathedral.
- Atmospheric pollution will actually increase at the St Vincent de Paul Primary School if vehicles are required to change speed nearby.
- There are also school properties on Francis Street and Ambrosden Avenue where children and staff will not be helped and may well be harmed by the limited restriction proposed.
- The increasing volume of rat running vehicles on surrounding residential streets (Carlisle Place, Ashley Place, Morpeth Terrace, Thirleby Road, Emery Hill Street, Ambrosden Avenue and Francis Street) in order to avoide heavilt trafficked sections of Victoria Street and Vauxhall Bridge Road is a significant and growing source of pollution and accident risk for school children and residents in the area.
We the undersigned, urge Councillors to reduce traffic risks to residents and children at the three school sites in the Cathedral area by introducing the following effective measures.
- Speed limit of 20mph throughout the Cathedral residential area (bounded by Victoria Street, Vauxhall Bridge Road, Rochester Row and Artillery Row);
- 'NO ENTRY except for access' signs to be placed at the main access points (Victoria Street to Carlisle Place and Thirleby Road; Rochester Row to Willow Place, Stillington Street and Emery Hill Street, Artillery Row to Howick Place and Greencoat Place).